----------------------------------------------- */

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the last lap...

16 September, 2004

unfocused north american tour '04--Prologue

Prologue


There is something comforting about packing for two trips in one day. A feeling of preparedness that I've rarely experienced. Nevertheless, the first leg(to Austin City Limits Music Festival and back) and the second (to Anchorage for brother and back) are both planned, overplanned and need to be excecuted.


Sadly, I'm one of those individuals with expectations. At the onset of any new event in my life, no matter how small, I harbor hopes of lifechange or epiphany. Thus, as I begin to cover a travel line that stretches from the Texas Hill Country to the Arctic Circle and back, I wonder if I'll encounter the answers within to tackle new career choices or how better to improve relationships. Perhaps a chance meeting with Larry McMurtry (whom my step dad has already encountered and thinks is named Hilfiger) will put me on the trail of publication. I may develop Toquevillian insight into the American Experience by standing near the footsteps of heroes—undeserving and living (Elvis Costello) or deserving and dead (Lewis and Clark). New, wild beauty will ignite a previously undiscovered muse. On the trip I will learn to appreciate friends and family in new ways and express my appreciation.

But deep down I fear that all this trek will amount to is the coverage of nearly 10,000 nautical miles and nothing else.


So, while the trip unfolded, I would not call any of the moments epiphanic—it is a long way from the Road to Damascus to the AlCan. However, there are moments of remarkable clarity (to go with a few of abject terror and embarrassment) and choices will be made as a result. There were news items that would make The Onion editorial staff jealous, music that surprised or transported the listener and things people said that I don't want to forget. The wonder of wilderness and the prevailing generosity of strangers was unmistakable. The opportunities to step into history or watch it unfold presented themselves with staggering simplicity and surprising frequency.


So, as I do my best to bring it all back, I appreciate you're wandering along with me, such as it is. The itinerary is thus: Stage One: Lubbock to Cisco to the Austin City Limits Music Festival and back to Lubbock. Stage Two: Lubbock by air to Anchorage, AK. Stage Three: Anchorage back to Lubbock by car.


Packed yet? 'Cause here we go, day by day.



Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only hope that your hangover was properly restrained in an approved safety device. a

1:16:00 PM

 
Blogger kevin said...

or a big hat.

9:34:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home